The Sports Committee of IIM Trichy caters to the sporting needs of the student community. We organize major events like Sangram, ITFL, BCL, Kurukshetra, Adios and many more to celebrate and nurture the sporting spirit within the students all around the year. Events like ITFL and BCL are conducted by holding the auctions in IPL style bidding process for allotment of franchisees, a separate player auction as well as a trading window to look forward to during the course of the tournaments. Apart from that we collaborate with other clubs and committees to conduct charity matches with the alumni, manage the sporting inventory as well as handle the invitational matches like the ones with the alumni and nearby colleges. We also encourage active participation in sporting events of other B-schools.
In its 12th edition, Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode, organized the event from 13th to 15th November 2015. The total number of participants from Bangalore, Kozhikode and Tiruchirappalli were 170, 180 and 104 respectively and they competed across 21 events.
IIM Trichy participated in total of 19 events across Men’s and Women’s category. Unfortunately, the teams could not perform well this year and slipped in the medal tally as compared to previous year.
However IIM Trichy maintained its legacy in the Hockey by bagging gold medal. Like previous year, Kuldeep Jain led the Hockey team and was instrumental in the victory. The swimming team led by Jatin Balani put up a good fight and managed to secure silver medal for the first time. The Table Tennis team led by Saikat Roy missed the top spot by a small margin and secured Silver medal.
The Pool team also put up a good fight and tie breaker matches had to be conducted to decide the winner. However nervousness got the better of them and had to manage with Bronze medal. Cricket, Football, Badminton, Carrom, Lawn Tennis, Chess and Kho-kho were the other events that the institute participated in.
2. ITFL (IIM Trichy Football League) - ITFL is the annual football tournament conducted by the Sports Committee of the institute. ITFL, 2016 was the 5th edition and was played among 6 teams. The teams had a good mix of first year and second year students. The teams selected the captain and players through an auctioning process. A Traditional Tamil Martial Arts Silambam performance was staged to inaugurate the much anticipated league. The final will be played on 04th February, 2016. The tournament played a crucial role in creating some fun moments amidst a busy schedule of students.
3. BCL (Beryl Cricket League) - BCL is the annual cricket tournament conducted by the Sports Committee of the institute. BCL, 2015 was the second edition and was played among the 6 teams. The teams were selected through an auction process and all the teams had a good mix of first year and second year students. It was an exciting tournament with some very nail biting encounters between the teams. The final match was played on 4th Nov 2015 between Juggernauts and Old school Outlaws with former emerging winner in a close encounter.
4. Kurukshetra (War between Sections) - Kurukshetra is a sports competition held between Section A and B of IIM Trichy students. The competition consists of cricket, football, volleyball and table tennis events. This year Kurukshetra witnessed some immense talent among students with both the sections battling out to win and gave some tough competition to each other on the field. Section A defeated Section B in all the events and won the Kurukshetra event.
5. Dwand (PGP 1 vs PGP 2) - Dwand is a sports competition held between PGP 1st vs 2nd year. The competition consists of basketball, football and volleyball events. PGP-1 and PGP-2 played out a thoroughly entertaining Volleyball match with PGP-2 coming out on top in 5 sets, 18-25, 25-16, 18-25, 25-14, 25-12. The match saw a number of momentum swings with the match hanging in the balance after the 4th set. But PGP-2 showed their experience and held on to take the 5th set in clinical fashion as PGP-1 wilted under pressure. PGP 2 also won the football and basketball events.
6. Students vs Faculty Charity Match - A cricket match was organized between the faculty and the students to raise funds for charity as a part of the Daan Utsav in association with Elixir club. It was an exciting contest as the Faculty team gave a tough fight to the students but ultimately ran out of steam as the students team won the match. The faculty team was led by Prof Narahari Hansoge while the star of the match was Prof Mukundhan who could have single handedly won the match for the faculty team. The event was attended by majority of the faculty and turned out to be a great event.
7. Alumni vs Students Match - As a part of the Alumni meet a football match was organized between the Alumni attending the meet and the students of IIM Trichy in association with Alumni Committee. The Alumni were at their attacking best as they combined brilliantly even after a 1-3 hiatus from Beryl ground and their domination was for all to see. Although they started sloppily conceding a goal, they ran out winners in the penalty shootout with the final score reading 1-1(2-1 penalties). It was an interesting event as the current students got a chance to see some of the best football players of IIM Trichy in the past.
8. Volleyball bash – This year Sportscom organized its first ever Volleyball tournament. The tournament was conducted on the same theme as BCL & ITFL and 4 teams (Southern Smashers, Royal Servers, Netmasters and Ballbusters) were made with each team led by the icon player of that team. It was southern smashers which won the tournament finally in 3 straight sets.
9. Adios series - Sportscom organized "The Adios" (farewell series) for outgoing batch of IIM Trichy where matches were played between PGP1 (2015-17) and PGP2 (2014-16) in namely 5 sports: Hockey, Volleyball, Cricket, Badminton & Football. It turned out to be one of the most entertaining tournament organized this year with both batches giving their best
10. TT championship – Sportscom also organized its first ever TT tournament this year.